We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Side dish
The rice is cooked in chicken stock instead of water to enhance the flavour. Use vegetable stock if you're looking for a vegetarian side dish.
54 people made this
- 15g (1/2 oz) butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 200g (7 oz) uncooked long grain white rice
- 60g (2 oz) sultanas
- 350ml (12 fl oz) chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 30g (1 oz) flaked almonds
MethodPrep:5min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:25min
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion, stirring, until tender. Stir in the rice, sultanas, stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Stir in almonds before serving.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(42)
Reviews in English (36)
This was absolutely delicious and easy! I used a little more butter than called for by accident and I think it made it even better! I toasted the almonds and have also made this with wild rice and it tasted just as great! Thanks for such a wonderful recipe.-13 May 2003
by Carrie Magill
For something so simple, this was really nice! I replaced the onion with a very small amount of onion powder, left out the salt and pepper, and next time would slightly reduce the amount of butter as well. This recipe made a great side dish for Honey Grilled Fish, and it would probably go well with any other flavorful fish as well. I didn't personally care for the taste of the raisins, but they look beautiful and are easy enough for picky eaters to avoid :-)-05 Nov 2005
I really liked this recipe. I love just about most rice dishes but love those that have more flavor and this one delivers that. The only change I made (I just couldn't help myself) is that I added about 3 cloves of crushed garlic and saute that with the onions since that is what I do with my rice. It was just natural to me. The kids were not a big fan but I was.-19 Nov 2010